If you have invested in Surface tab and want to optimize its usage, then you must connect it to a wireless network. A few people face issues while trying to connect their Surface tab to a wireless connection. If you haven’t set up a wireless network on your Surface yet, or if you are facing issues with it, then read on to know more about it.
Set Up Wireless Network On Surface
Here are the steps for joining a wireless network from Surface:
- Click on the Start button.
- After that, tap on Settings.
- In the Settings screen, tap on the network option.
- Now, you will be able to see which network the device is connected to, along with other available networks.
- After that, just select the network you want to connect the device to, from the list.
- Now, choose if you want the system to auto-connect every time that connection is in range.
- You can tick the box next to Connect automatically.
- After that, tap on the Connect button at the bottom left side of the screen.
- Now, you need to key in the network security key in the Networks window.
- You may also connect to the network by pressing the button present on the router.
- Tap on the Next option after entering the password.
- Now, you will be asked whether you wish to enable sharing between computers and connect to devices using the network.
- For networks in public places, select the former option which is: No, don’t turn on sharing or connect to devices. Now the data will not get shared with the entire network.
- For home and work networks, you may select the latter option that is: Yes, turn on sharing and connect to devices. Now, you can share the data on your Surface with the other devices on the network.
- After this, your Surface device will get connected to the wireless network.
Set Up Manual Wireless Network On Surface
If your wireless network is not showing up in the list of available networks, then it may be due to security reasons. Here is how you can set up a wireless network on Surface manually:
- Go to the home screen of the device.
- Now search for View network status in the search bar.
- Click on the Settings option.
- Below the results for settings, select the View network status and tasks button.
- Allow the Network and Sharing Center window to launch.
- In the Change your networking settings, click on Set up a new connection or network.
- In the Set Up a Connection or Network, select a connection option. Click on the third option: Manually connect to a wireless network.
- Now just enter the details for the wireless network you wish to add.
- Add network name, select security type, and encryption type, and enter the Security Key.
- Check the box next to Hide characters.
- Check the box next to Start this connection automatically and make sure to enable connection even when the network is not broadcasting.
- Tap on the Next button.
- Click on close in the following screen if it states Successfully added “connection name.”